This is one of the best books on management I have read in a while.
There are twelve questions in first chapter that managers should focus on to attract and retain top talent which are really good. These are like “Do I know what is expected of me at work?”, “Do I have materials and equipment to do my job?”, “Do I have opportunity o do what I do best?”, “ Have I received recognition in for good work?” etc…
According to author,
- The role of manager is to act as catalyst by working one on one with each person to convert his talent into performance.
- Also, there is limit to how much you can develop people hence managers should help each person to become more of who he or she already is.
- Focus on outcomes not right steps
- When hiring select for talent, skill and abilities
- Talent cannot be taught, skills and knowledge can be developed
- Each person has his own strength, focus on strengths and work around weaknesses
- Most importantly “FIND THE RIGHT FIT”
Great read, highly recommend it.