EPC Tag data standard has been defined to standardise how EPC ids will be used by various organizations around the world. Traditionally in non RFID area this has been done by bodies like UPC. If you go to any store pick up a pack of anything u will find a barcode on it along with a number that is UPC code. Similarly EPC wants to standardize codes in RFID space. Indeed a noble cause. This will help a lot in softwar applications.
EPC or Electronic product code will allow users to identify individual objects. i.e. every coke can can get unique EPC code. EPC Tag data standard framework has been defined in 3 layers. Pure identity layer, Encoding layer and Pysical realization layer…
1. Pure Identity layer : This is independent of the environment where the code is implemented. It is the base indentification model. Example could be SSCC format defined by EAN-UCC
2. Encoding layer: This layer is pure identity layer + additional fields like filer values. One identity can have encoding for bar codes, various tag encoding and URI encodings. Eample is have SSCC into EPC-SSCC 96bit format
3. Physical Realization : This is actualy implementation of the encoding on the physical RFID tag. Having 96 bit encoding written on UHF class 1 RF tag.
Following are the pure Identities
1. GID 96: General Identifier is a new type defined by EPC global. This is composed of General Manager number(org identifier), Object class(type of thing) and Serial number(unique).
2. EAN.UCC System Identity types: These are five EPC identity types derived from EAN.UCC System family of product codes
2.a SGTIN(Serialized Global trade item number): This is based on GTIN only serialization has been added to uniquely identify every object. GTIN only identifies the product class. SGTIN consists of Company prefix, Item reference and serial number.
2.b SSCC(Serialized shipping container code. It is used in identifying shipments uniquely. This is already serialized so can be used almost as is only moving some segments of data around. This consists of company prefix and serialize reference.
2.c SGLN(Serialized global location number). GLN is used in identifying a unique location can be a dock door or a warehouse or office space. SGLN adds serialization to GLN. SGLN consists of company prefix, location reference and serial number(not to be used until finalized by EAN.UCC).
2.d GRAI (Global returnable asset identifier). This is used to identify individual assets. Therefore can be used as is. It consists of company prefix, Asset type and serial number.
2.e GIAI(Global individual asset identfier). This is also unique so can be used as is. It consists of company prefix and individual asset reference.
3. DOD Identity types….. To be continued….