I had some work in Seattle, It was first time I was suppose to visit Microsoft office in Redmond for giving a presentation on SAMSys RFID readers. Swati has a close friend Uttara in Seattle so she insisted on coming along. So I left on tuesday morning and reached around 10:30.. You should read my post “A Week where everything started wrong but ended right…”.
Swati come that day evening actually mid night and then for next 4 days I was so busy that I had no time to spend with Swati. Only thing we did was go out for dinner some some good places including at space needle. That is a beautiful revolving restaurant. Also we met Uttara and Ashwin for dinner and also visited there house on friday evening. Swati had a ball of a time. Me being busy she enjoyed like anything. Whole day she was shopping and going out with her friend for lunch, cofee what not…:)… She loved it…
On Saturday we did get some time to go around the city we saw the famous Pike place market, we took a ferry to a near by casino(I love casinos…. won some money there) and took evening flight back to raleigh. It was a short and Sweet visit we had….:):)
Sorry everyone for being away for so long. Life is really hectic now. Busier than a Bee. Work is crazy, MBA is speeding away and there is no time left for personal life. Even on weekends it is either work or study. This weekend had to complete the Microeconomics exam. Have to still finish 10% of it. Can u imagine have been working on it since yesterday morning, ofcourse with James bond movie and other crap which goes on in TV. Finally today morning just went to Barnes and Nobles(Bookstore) and sat and worked on the exam. Anyway…
This thursday we started our Corporate finance class. We have a new professor, good one. Sounds like a technical guy. Concentrates more on numbers, calculations. Lets see how it goes. First class was fun. I have never laughed more in class since my MBA started last september. So here is what went on…
We learnt 3 important things in class.
1. JH is one of our class members. He is a great guy. Kind of serious looking and is at a very high position in one of the forture 500 companies. So is very smart, mainly serious(u will hardly see him laugh) and great guy. So our prof was teaching us about NPV and IRR. Basically it is used to evaluate the Business decisions. NPV calculates net $ values u can earn from a project and IRR calculates similar stuff in %(lets not go in more details)..:) So our prof in short was saying IRR is crap and u should always use NPV. So JH mentioned they use IRR and bla bla bla. So Prof and JH were having some discussion about this. I was almost going to doze off when suddenly prof said “U are destroying value by using IRR”. Suddenly the whole class burst in laugher. 🙂 So first lesson we learnt was “JH is destroying value”…:):) That was funny.
2. ZY is another of our class members and again discussion is about NPV. ZY had some problem understanding how u can compare NPV for large and small projects. Again some bla bla bla and again I am going to doze off and suddenly ZY says…”Size does matter….” Again the whole class burst in laughter. That was good but after around 5 minutes suddenly Yang again said something like , I don’t belive it… So again whole class burst out in laughter… So second lesson “Size does matter but ZY does not belive it”..:):)
3. Never use IRR, NPV is better.
Finally the exam is over and I am a free man. Last couple of weeks have been hectic, lot of work in office and also we had an in class exam in school for managerial accounting. That was too much, so had to study for it. Our professor is just amazing. You should read this article about him(C J Skender).
So today I was reading Sayeshaâ€™s blog and she wrote about Zabardasti ka tag where everyone wants to get tagged. So I took it to next level I have virtually assumed that Sayeshaâ€™s has tagged me and am going to write about it.:) Hehehehehehe
4 Jobs that I have had (before my current one):
- Program Assistant in NIIT. The title is fancy it actually meant lab assistant to help students at NIIT with there programming queries. 🙂
- Software Engineer at Baan. This was my first real job. Was great learning experience and got to travel a lot around the world. Especially to NL and US.
- EAI Designer (Technical Advisor) at Nortel Networks. This was my first job in US. Nortel was a great company and I had great colleagues. Just a fun place to be. JJJ
- Senior Solutions Architect at e-Emphasys in India and US. I was the second employee at eET. I have seen this company grow from Milindâ€™s bedroom to office across the globe in Japan, US and India. From 2-3 people to almost more than 100 people. Biggest advantage of working for a small company is the amount of responsibilities you get.
4 English movies I can recommend to anyone:
- You have got mail
- Seige (Denzel, Bruce willis great performances)
- Oceanâ€™s eleven
4 Hindi movies I can recommend to anyone:
- Dil chahta hai
- Hera Pheri
- Munnabhai MBBS
Actually there are just too many.:(
4 Places I’ve lived in, that linger in my memory:
- Mumbai. There is no place like Mumbai. Once you live in Mumbai you have set ur bar so high no other city can match it. Maybe NY can come close but it is not same.
- Hyderabad. We had our initial 4 months training for Baan in hyderabad. It was great fun. We were 10 of us in the batch, 7 guys and 3 girls. Was great fun.
- Ede, Netherlands. I have lived in Ede on various occasions. I have lived there for 3 months for a project. That was great fun. Whole vilanâ€™s gang was there. Especially G, Raje, Pami, Ralu, â€¦ were great
- RTP, USA. I have lived in Raleigh area for last 5 years now. This is a great place to live. Great weather, 3 best schools in the country, Greenery everywhere, 4 hours drive to mountains and 4 hours to ocean or 4 hours to DC. So a great place to live.
4 TV shows I will remember:
- Dekh bhai dekh
- Zaban sambhal ke
- Ulta pulta and Jaspal bhattiâ€™s another one I canâ€™t remember the name
- Everybody loves Raymond
- Travel Channel(Anything)
4 Vacations I will always remember:
- Vacation to Paris with whole Vilan gang of Baan. Was great fun. We stayed at youth hostel and enjoyed like anything. Was great fun.
- Honeymoon to backwaters in Kerala and then to Goa and then extended honeymoon to Amsterdan, Putten(NL), Belgium and Paris.
- Multiple visits to Las Vegas. Vegas is my favorite vacation spot. It is just fun.
- Vacation to Switzerland. Last summer we had been to Switzerland. Most beautiful place I have ever seen.
4 Places I’d rather be right now:
- Las Vegas
4 Foods I love:
- Dal Chawal with fish fry (pomfret) of course Mom ke hath ka.
- Wada pav in Mumbai
- Omlet and other breakfast stuff at Brigs or Dennyâ€™s
- Thai Food
So here ends my, virtually self tagged post.. Heehehehhehehehhe That was funâ€¦JJJJJJ Thanks Sayesha for virtually not tagging me heheh..:)JJJJ